Mexico is located in Central America with a population of 111.2 million people. The capital is Mexico City and the country is bordered to the north by the USA, west by the Pacific, south by Guatemala and Belize, and east by the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. Mexico has developed a multi-billion dollar tourism industy with its jungles, beaches, wildlife and rich culture. This is a popular destination for Medical Tourism travellers from the USA and Canada. The official language of Mexico is Spanish (spoken by more than 90%), but English is also widely spoken.

Medical tourism

There are numerous Medical Tourism providers in Mexico that have long served their country's large tourist trade. The most common specialisations are Cosmetic, Dentistry, Cardiology, Orthopedic, Eye and Obesity procedures. Mexico also has a number of providers specialising in Spinal, Infertility, Cancer treatment and Neurology. See the box to the right to view a full list of available treatment areas.

Best time to travel

Due to its relatively consistent climate there is no bad time to visit Mexico, though the coastal and low-lying regions, particularly in the southern half of the country, can be hot and humid between May and September. It can also get a little chilly sometimes in the north and the centre from November through to February. July and August are peak holiday months for tourists, particularly from the USA and Canada. Christmas, New Years Eve and Easter are also very busy. The cost of flying to Mexico is thus usually higher around these times and weekends can also be more costly than weekdays.

Money and costs

The currency is the Mexican Peso (MXN) and your dollar will usually go a long way in Mexico. Find up-to-date exchange rates and conversion through a currency conversion tool. Mid-range travellers can generally live pretty well in most parts of the country on around 900MXN and over per day. An exception to this costing comes when staying on the Caribbean coast where accomodation prices can be much higher.


While a visa is not needed for entry for most tourists for stays up to 180 days, you must complete a Mexican Tourist Card [officially the forma migratoria para turista (FMT)]. This is a brief document that must be completed and stamped by Mexican immigration and is available at official border crossings, international airports and ports, airlines, travel agencies and Mexican consulates. It is also worth noting that Canadian passport holders must also carry with them proof of citizenship, such as an original or certified birth certificate in addition to their passport.

Getting there

Most airports in Mexico receive flights direct from the USA (some from several USA cities, some from only one or two); however, only Mexico City and Cancun receive direct flights from Europe, Canada, Central and South America and Cuba. Those travelling from Asia or Australia will have to change flights in the USA. There is a long list of carriers that service Mexico, with a few of the more well-known airlines being American Airlines, Aeroméxico, Air France, Air Madrid, British Airways, Iberia, KLM, LTU, Lufthansa, Air Europa, Air Canada and America West.

Dialling codes

To call Mexico, the country dialling code is +52.

Useful links

Find more in-depth information on Mexico at:

Lonely Planet -​mexico

Mexico Tourism -

Mexico Embassy in the USA -​usa

Mexico Embassy in the UK -

Something here not quite right? Please contact us so we can update this destination and links.

Page last updated: Friday, 2nd September 2011